Wednesday, November 14, 2007

the corpse bride

She loves to dance. Her dress flows around her as she spins around in ecstasy. She cannot wait to be married, and adjusts her veil and dress obsessively. Everything must be perfect. The flowers, the church, the guests - nothing can be out of place. She loves to walk through the woods at night and dreams of her love. Sometimes, she hears her wedding march in the forest and thinks it is her imagination. But it sounds so real. It is so real. She walks down the path overtaken by leaves and roots, pretending it is her aisle. She holds a bouquet of wild flowers to complete her dream. Everything becomes hopeful - the wedding is almost here. Time to walk to the chapel!

"Oh, wait," she sighs. "I'm dead."

Dun, dun, dun. This is the corpse bride.

Last night, I did not watch this movie. But I had this image in my head. I was writing a piano composition, for my audition to the music school, and this story popped into my head. The piece is very melancholy - haunting, actually - and it becomes hopeful, and then she realizes she is dead. And it is melancholy once more. I love the story. I love the composition. I hope that listeners can hear the rise and fall of the corpse bride. No pun intended. When I make it the theme for the academy award-winning movie that I'll compose, I hope you - my delightful readers - will remember the story of the corpse bride. Most of all, remember that feeling of, "Oh, wait. I'm dead."

1 comment:

MissYiya said...

I realize I might be commenting on this quite late, but I love how you wrote that. Would it be possible to listen to the piece you composed?